Monday, March 9, 2009

Cause the greatest rapper of all time died on March 9th...

About a month ago I was going through some boxes in the garage and hit the jackpot: boxes and boxes of old cassette tapes; from cassingles, to LPs, to promo tapes, to mixes that I recorded off of the radio.  But one tape that I found caught me a bit off guard.  The year was 1994 and I had just started my junior year of high school (do the math).  Some friends and I were hanging out after school at the Metro Center in Colma, when we saw the KMEL van and a small line forming in front of the Wherehouse (RIP).  Out of curiosity, we made our way over to see what the small commotion was all about.  Inside, a rapper who was just starting to make some major noise coast to coast was signing samplers of his new (and future classic) album.  That afternoon standing before him, getting our cassettes signed, I don't think we realized the significant impact that he would make on hip-hop; from his soon to be classic 'Ready to Die,' to his role in the highly publicized East vs West coast beef, to his untimely (and unsolved) murder.  He signed the tape, "Keep Bangin'. -B.I.G."  And now twelve years after his death, his music has stood the test of time and still hits just as hard as when it first came out.  We'll always love Big Poppa...

Alright stop... Collaborate and listen...
  • Debating on who the king of NYC is: Biggie vs Jay-Z vs Nas?  Tune in to Krazy Kids Radio on youthradio.org tomorrow (Tuesday) from 5pm-6pm.  I'll be doing a King of New York set so you can listen, ponder and decide for yourself.
  • Among the cassettes that I found were a few mixes recorded from KMEL and Wild 107.  I'll be posting some from time to time when I get a chance to rip them.  But for now, feel free to download this one and enjoy.  (Wow, when was the last time you heard Brand Nubian, Sade, Black Sheep and Das Efx in the same mix on the radio???)
  • Speaking of dope mixes, my main man DJ Brigidope has a bunch of mixes available for download on his blog.  I highly suggest you update your playlists and bump his mixes on your ipod.  RIGHT.  NOW.
  • And while we're plugging blogs, the homie Vinroc has been making some major moves as of late.  Click the link and catch up on what's going on with his label, his latest beats and remixes, and videos too.  (His instrumental album Beat Freaks and single, 'Luv Luv,' are available on iTunes now.) 
  • Have you read the detailed account of what happened Chris Brown and Rihanna?  Wow!
  • And on top of that, he's STILL in the running for two Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards.  Warm it up Chris!
  • Big shout out to everyone that came thru to WORD UP! this past weekend.  If you couldn't make it, you can check out what you missed here.  (Don't sleep!  We'll be at Azul every first Saturday of the month.)
  • And as we keep shit moving, come thru to Milk this Saturday for some groupie love.

1 comment: